Kawaikini New Century Public Charter School is a newly authorized K-12 school on the island of Kauaʻi. As a Hawaiian-medium and Hawaiian-values school, Kawaikini has established the following as its founding principals:
We envision a thoughtful, knowledgeable, and healthy community where the language, beliefs, and practices of the indigenous people of Hawaiʻi have become instinctive.
Through the medium of the Hawaiian language, Kawaikini will create a supportive learning environment where indigenous cultural knowledge is valued, applied, and perpetuated.
- We believe that we have a responsibility to cultivate and nurture the traditional language, culture, and values of Kauaʻi.
- We believe that the Hawaiian language should be a respected and normal part of daily life throughout Hawaiʻi.
- We believe that bilingualism is cognitively advantageous.
- We believe that good physical, spiritual, and emotional health is vital to learning.
- We believe that being part of a caring community provides children with the inner strength to succeed throughout life.
- We believe that a diverse and academically rich education is necessary to thrive in a dynamic, ever-changing world.
- To create and implement an integrated K-12 Kauaʻi-based curriculum;
- To develop and foster a community of Hawaiian language speakers;
- To improve and support the overall health of our learning community;
- To engage parents and Kaua'i organizations in achieving a well-rounded Hawaiian education;
- To prepare students with the skills and knowledge necessary for success in their academic and career pursuits.
Foundations of Kawaikini
- Hawaiian-culture focus
- Immersion education
- Community partnerships / Service learning
- 'Ohana learning community
- High standards for all
- Three unique curricular strands
Kawaikini has been going through the WASC Accreditation Process. Our Accreditation Visit will occur on March 3-6, 2014. Kawaikini’s Accreditation document is here (downloadable PDF file).